Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Clash City or Matchy Matchy?

I finally got around to making some new buttons for a navy colored sweater I purchased some time ago.   I used my "Mini Mokume" technique that I share in my Clay Color System tutorial.  Each cane slice fits perfectly to create each individual button.


The color combination I used here was Navy (recipe # 9-7), Olive (recipe # 7-8, GoldenYellow (recipe # 6-2) and the avocado recipe I shared with you in a previous blog post (click here).


We are off to see a wholesale customer so I thought I would whip up some new jewelry pieces to wear in the same color combination.


And here are my matching pieces:  Bracelet, Earrings, Pendant Necklace and Buttons.


Which brings me to a question.  Do you prefer matching sets of jewelry pieces or do you prefer pieces that don't match but sort of go together?  I've always preferred having my clothes and jewelry matching or coordinating as much as possible.  What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I personally like the as long as it goes together way....but I have to say by far the majority of my customers want the matchy matchy thing.
~Kam

Moushka said...

Great question! Sorry I'm answering so late.

I prefer coordinating, i.e., sort of goes together. In fact, I hate "matchy-matchy" - it's so unimaginative. My new DDIL wore FOUR identical pieces of jewellery (two earrings, tika, and necklace) at her wedding. While she was (and is) incredibly beautiful, I wanted to snatch them off her and mix it up a bit. Overall, though, I do think most customers look for sets. That's why we're making them and they're buying ;)

2 Good Claymates said...

Oh funny! lol! I think if items at least "coordinate" is nice such as a similar color scheme. That is why when we will create several style necklaces, pendants and earrings made from the same "series" but all slightly different so people can mix and match. Since we discovered this we have sold more "matching" 2 or 3 piece sets.