Friday, August 19, 2011

Follow up on your comments

Thanks so much for your comments on the pendant I posted.  Some of you recognized Julie Picarello's technique.  I took her workshop almost 2 years ago and thoroughly enjoyed it.  It is the only workshop I've ever taken and glad I did for the experience and fun get together with other fellow clayers.  Some of you mentioned how her style and technique is now popping up all over the place since her book came out and may be a little over used for a while but that is okay.  I still love to play with stacked, layered and textured clay and experimenting with a way to create more of an abstract look.

This brings me to the bet Dave and I made with each other.  I was playing with my clay layered stack and decided to formulate some type of scene.  When I showed Dave my pendant, I asked him what he saw and at first he didn't see anything -- go figure!  I then gave him some suggestions as to what I saw (which I had some liberty as I did make the piece - ha).  I showed him the sky, the hill, the possible water at the bottom ---  He did see the sun!  yippee!  On the other hand he did decide it was a sunset over a moonscape --- he felt calling it a landscape was stretching it a bit.

We then made a bet.  I said I would post a photo of it on our blog and ask our followers what they see and compare who is right ---


To settle the bet ... any of the comments that mentioned desert, sun, etc. were a point for Dave. 

Any of the comments that referred to scenes or landscapes were a point for me.

We eliminated the faces, fish, birds and whatever -- except for the FraggleRock comment.  Dave insisted on a point for that one!  (In his opinion FraggleRock was the best TV show ever made)

As for the comments on Facebook?  Well -- let's just say they are just wierd!  Ninja turtles???  lol!

All in all we settled on a tie -- (for now...)  It was fun though to see how so many people can look at the same thing and all get a totally different impression!


So now the inspiration behind this piece....

I bought this gorgeous wrap style poncho shawl from a local artist friend, Jan Seedhouse.  Her work is fabulous and all made by her on her loom.  You can see the shawl in our blog post here.

So, I've been wanting to make some new jewelry pieces to go with my shawl.  I created some new bargello (which I will show you later) and decided to play around with some of the same colors.  Here are some photos of the pendant piece with my shawl to see how the colors coordinate.



Thanks again for all your comments!  We had a lot of fun reading them!

4 comments:

Mar BisuterĂ­a said...

es muy bonito en ese color!!!!

UncleChris said...

Fragglerock was a most awesome show! :)

And I am glad I could help Dave's count - since, us guys have to stick together sometimes. Not many of us crafting it tends to seem.

It is a very lovely piece, and does coordinate so well with the shawl.

As to mokune-gane it is big lately, but I really like Julie's more minimalistic distrubance of the layers than most of the other techniques. Allows for more control, and that makes for some very cool designs (like yours). I do have to admit, I been playing with it a lot more since her book came out recently and have really enjoyed it.

2 Good Claymates said...

Muchas Gracias!

2 Good Claymates said...

Thanks Uncle Chris and yes Dave did appreciate that extra point.

What you said about allowing more control over your design with Julie's technique I totally agree and that is what I've been experimenting around a bit with. I just received her book last week (was later getting it here in Canada) and is done really well. It is just like attending her workshop all over again.