Monday, March 28, 2011

Faux Turquoise

Turquoise is one of my favorite stones and after a lot of practice, I have developed my own faux turquoise from clay.


I generally like to make a large batch at a time and then use it straight or create veneer sheets for covering.  I start by mixing in real dirt and paint with my clay and can look like a real mess!


It is hard to believe that it eventually turns out like this:


The beauty of making your own is you can create pieces in any shape or size imaginable.  These are some of our latest jewelry pieces.



9 comments:

Dori T said...

I love your turquoise. I have been mixing mine for the past couple of days and it is in the oven now. We must have been influenced by our Muses at the same time! I think yours is much prettier.

Anonymous said...

Wow! You are really an artist with the clay. I am just learning.

Cat said...

That is so gorgeous!

Cynthia Blanton said...

I agree with the others. Your turquoise is gorgeous and I love the frame in that last pendant.

Cynthia

2 Good Claymates said...

Thanks so much everyone. Cynthia, I import the bezel frames and plan to sell them in my shop eventually. They are really nice filled with clay.

Anonymous said...

I am amazed by the picture of the dirt and paint with the clay. Wow, and the results are beautiful!

Lupe Meter said...

Beautiful!! Your work is amazing! Love your turqoise!

Grace Kaufmann said...

The turquoise is gorgeous. It' the first "faux" that looks real to me. Would you consider doing a tutorial?
Thanks, Grace

Cara Jane (surfingcat) said...

Just beautiful!

I've tried it but mine didn't look as good as yours. I think perhaps my chunks were too small.