Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Clay Veneer Sheet Storage Tip

I was reading a clay book some time ago and the writer had suggested storing clay veneer sheets in plastic page protectors.  I wasn't really sure how well that would work but I was keeping them stored in containers and wasn't really happy with that system.  I would forget what was in the box and had to pull everything out to find what I was looking for and some of the sheets would start to dry out and crack.

I had several types of sheet protectors and decided to test them out to see if they would react with the clay.   I would check them every day and after several weeks there was no reaction with the plastic whatsoever. so I proceeded to fill them with my clay veneer sheets and pieces I had stored.

I liked the clearer type protectors as I could see through them much better and went with those.  I cut down the one side leaving the bottom seam still attached.  I could then fill the sheet up with all my clay pieces easily and then "reseal" it again.


It is really cool how the clay sheets stick to the plastic sheet keeping it sealed and you can turn the pages in the binder without them falling out or moving.  It also keeps them nice and clean and dust-free.


This is such a handy way to keep them and I store them in the same binder as my Clay Color System Recipes, etc. so everything is all together.

11 comments:

3 Peeps Designs said...

What a clever idea and I love your veneer sheets!

Vanessa said...

I have been storing my clay this way for well over a year and haven't had any problems. I love storing my clay this way it's an easy way to see what colours I have conditioned and ready to use

Beadcomber said...

Yes, Vanessa gave me this tip a few days ago when I mixed up batches for my beach pebbles and also have some Batik and Shimmer veneers I needed to store away safely. It sure is a handy storage system.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a great tip.

Unknown said...

That's such a good idea. I rarely have any left over veneer but if I do I may try that!

Niviob said...

I started doing this last year when I had to condition a lot of clay for a retreat. Recently I expanded the idea by getting binder dividers that are in the colour of the rainbow.

So now at a glance I can find a colour already conditioned.

Whenever I have leftover clay it gets conditioned and filed away. If it's a mix I write the recipe and file it right there.

2 Good Claymates said...

That does sound like a good idea about storing clay colors that way if you work only in small amounts but I would need about 6 binders just to hold it all!

The way I store my clay for my color system works best with the larger amounts that I work with.

Cindy Lietz, Polymer Clay Tutor said...

This is a brilliant idea Carolyn! I store my clear cling rubber stamps this way but for some reason never thought to store my clay sheets the same way. Up until this very moment, I have been storing my clay veneers and sheets in a file folder lined with parchment. I like your idea better!

earthlyjewels said...

What a terrific way of storing! Great idea.

Marian Hertzog said...

Thanks for the great idea!

Tink's Tinkerings said...

Your work is so beautiful,