Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Bargello

Bargello is a needlepoint embroidery technique originally used for pillows and upholstery.  The stitches are done in a pattern using many hues of each color resulting in intricate shading effects.     Laura Liska created this same look in polymer clay in the most beautiful colors and patterns.  She fortunately shared her technique with Lindly Haunani and Maggie Maggio which is in their book, Polymer Clay Color Inspirations.

I followed this technique to create some Bargello style pieces but with my own color combinations from the Pantone Spring 2011 colors of Honeysuckle, Beeswax and Peapod.  You will find the recipes for these colors in my last blog post here.


This technique requires concentration and a very steady hand to achieve straight lines and a consistent pattern.  The first one I did on the Honeysuckle color background and was my first crack at it.  I love the effect from the deep colored background.  The one below shows the same cane on the Beeswax background with a different pattern which has a totally different look.


And of course I had to make a lentil swirl from this gorgeous color combo!


My next stage is to make some beads from these Bargello clay sheets and will show you later when they are complete...

4 comments:

Nettonya said...

I like your second run at the bargello, as it is more like the quilted bargello with which I am familiar. The yellow makes the other colors POP!

2 Good Claymates said...

Thanks Nettonya. I like the second one better too. I kind of lost my concentration on the first one and messed up on the pattern a bit but I think I'm getting the hang of it now.

Anonymous said...

LOL....and I liked the first one the best!!! I love the pink in the background!!!
Kam

2 Good Claymates said...

I should've explained that I do like the first one too -- I love the deep colored background. I just messed up on the pattern and it didn't come out as it should have. I think I will try that color again but with the same zigzag pattern as the Beeswax one.